The headquarters of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, the hall holds one of the largest and most significant medical collections in the UK.
The RCSEd began developing its collection from 1699 after it was decided that a public holding of 'natural and artificial curiosities' was needed. In 1832 it established the museum – initially as a space for medical teaching – but later expanding to welcome all.
Today it comprises of The Wohl Pathology museum, The History of Surgery Museum and the Dental Collection. Each explores the history of its specialist field; from the earliest dentistry procedures to the breakthrough discovery of antiseptic, the use of forensics in murder cases to the role of women in surgery. As well as a mind-boggling array of specimens and artefacts, the museum also hosts an interactive dissection table.
The collection comprises anatomical and pathological specimens, wax models, surgical instruments, histology slides, radiographs, paintings, engravings, busts and furniture.