A splendid Victorian building showing Canterbury's decorative arts and pictures.
Situated in the historic centre of Canterbury, the Beaney is home to state-of-the-art exhibition galleries, library, education facilities and a full programme of events. It was an Art Fund Museum of the Year finalist in 2013.
The building takes its name from its benefactor, Dr James George Beaney, who died in 1891 and left money in his will to the city of Canterbury.
The Beaney's collections include a nationally important body of work by English cattle artist Thomas Sidney Cooper; displays on Canterbury's explorers; archaeological collections from ancient Egypt and Anglo-Saxon Kent; Greek and Roman antiquities collected by Percy Clinton Sydney Smythe, 6th Viscount Strangford; and fragments and roundels of Dutch stained-glass.
Star exhibits include Harrriet Halhead's painting Little girl at the Door (1910), an Egyptian mummified cat; and an exquisitely decorated South Indian gauntlet sword.