BDA Dental Museum
London, W1G 8YS
Free to all
They say that the evolution of dentistry is one of the most compelling reasons why we should count ourselves lucky not to have been born in the Middle Ages.
Witness for yourself the milestones of the art at the BDA Dental Museum, from clockwork drills and 19th-century toothache cures to art and advertising spanning hundreds of years.
The BDA Dental Museum has the largest collection of material relating to the history of dentistry in the country. It was developed in the early 20th century for the education of its membership, opening its doors to the public in 1967 when the association moved to its current premises on Wimpole Street.
Lilian Lindsay, the first female to qualify as a dentist in the UK, began the Association's collection of dental instruments in 1919 with a small collection of old equipment that she had been storing underneath her bed. Nowadays, the museum holds around 30,000 items, including instruments and equipment, furniture, photographs, archives, and fine and decorative art.
The Dentist, by renowned portrait artist Sir John Lavery, was purchased by the museum with the help of the Art Fund in 2011.