This exhibition looks at the history of Chertsey Abbey from its foundation in 666 to its dissolution in 1537.
In its 14th-century heyday, Chertsey Abbey was the fifth largest monastery in the country. However, over the decades since its dissolution in 1537 the building has gradually disappeared. This exhibition gives visitors an appreciation of Chertsey’s most famous building, which is no longer to be seen.
A new 3D computer model showing how Chertsey Abbey may have looked in 1362 has been created using archaeological reports, comparisons with contemporary buildings, educated guesswork and artistic license. As well as a two-minute 'fly-over' film giving an overview of the model, there are an animated abbey time-line and two games on an abbey theme.
Also on display are loans from The National Archive in Kew of abbey-related documents which are rarely seen by the public.