The popular Scottish Colourist series of exhibitions concludes with a retrospective of one of the nation's most influential 20th century artists.
Charting the career of the Leith-born, largely self-taught artist, J.D. Fergusson who emerged as part of the Colourist group of painters alongside F.C.B. Cadell, S.J Peploe and G.L. Hunter.
Fergusson moved to Paris in 1907, persuading Peploe to join him shortly after in 1910. His years in the city were to have a huge influence on his style and technique, as he became assimilated with the latest developments in French painting being pioneered by Matisse and Derain.
When the First World War broke out, Fergusson was forced to move to London, where he joined his partner Margaret Morris and became a member of the Margaret Morris Club – an important gathering place for local artists, writers and composers.
In 1929, the couple returned to Paris before finally settling in Glasgow, where they helped galvanize the city's arts scene through a meeting and exhibiting society, the New Art Club, and its off-shoot, the New Scottish Group.
Throughout the 1950s the couple spent long periods in the south of France, where Morris set up creative dance summer schools and her students became among Fergusson's 'favourite models'.
Focusing on oils and sculptures, this overarching survey of the artist's career features loans from throughout the UK, including many from private collections which have rarely been shown before.