The Company of Watermen and Lightermen of the River Thames was founded in 1514, when the earliest Act of Parliament for regulating watermen, wherrymen and bargemen received Royal Assent from King Henry VIII. Today the company is still involved in the life of the Thames and those who work on it. In 1700 the Lightermen (carriers of cargo) joined the Watermen’s Company. The assistant clerk leads this tour of the Georgian hall, offering historical insight along the way.
The visit is generally accessible.