By kind permission of Mark Gibson and Fi McLelland.
Originally a laird’s house, Craigengillan House and Estate was in the possession of the McAdam/Cathcart family from the 17th century until its purchase by Mark Gibson and Fi McLelland in 1999.
The exterior is in complete contrast to the 18th Century French Revival interior which was carried out by Maison Jansen, a Paris company, around 1905. This is the only known example of their work in Scotland which makes Craigengillan a place of national importance.
The Estate is large and comprised of various different natural areas such as woodlands, wetlands, heath, loch and two sites of Special Scientific Interest. The group will be visiting the Dalcairnie Falls. There is also the opportunity to see the Pulham Rock and Water Garden.
The Observatory is situated at the edge of the Galloway Forest Dark Sky Park, opened in 2012. Although this is a very modern scientific research centre, the exterior does not look out of place in the landscape.