Scarborough: St. Martin-on-the-Hill and Scarborough Art Gallery
Visit | St Martin on the Hill
Saturday 18 June 2011
There will be a visit to the Church of St-Martin-on-the-Hill, a Gothic Revival style church designed by the English architect George Frederick Bodley between 1862-3. Bodley was connected to the Pre-Raphelite Brethren through his affiliation with the Hogarth Club. Because of this, Bodley was able to engage the services of William Morris & Co. for many elements of the interior of St Martin-on-the-Hill. The church features windows by Ford Maddox Brown and Burne-Jones, pulpit panels by Rossetti and an altar frontal by Jane Morris. A guided tour of the church will be followed by lunch and a visit to Scarborough Art Gallery which features a fine collection of chalk drawings by Sir Frank Brangwyn, Filey pottery and paintings by Atkinson Grimshaw. Afternoon tea will be served at Deer Park House, Scampston.