In 1837 an Act of Parliament enabled the Bristol General Cemetery Company
to open Arnos Vale cemetery in the grounds of a Georgian mansion. This began to
solve the problem of overcrowding in inner city churchyards. It was
set out as a Greek Necropolis with mortuary chapels around a garden set out with
plants from classical legend. Its backdrop, a steep hillside, is
terraced like an amphitheatre. Enjoy a short talk followed by a
guided tour to see the completed restoration work. The ground is
uneven, especially in the furthest reaches.