Visit: Ushaw College, Roman Catholic Seminary, Durham

| Ushaw College

The buildings of Ushaw date from 1804 with the original quadrangle designed by James Taylor of Islington and being occupied by 1808. By 1839 Augustus Welby Pugin was invited to begin designs for a new Chapel which eventually resulted in Gothic Revival Architecture being added to an essentially Georgian building. Father Michael Sharratt will give a guided tour through the college and library and Christopher Webster will give a short lecture ‘The Post-Waterloo Gothic Revival: the battle of the styles.’ The day ends with a walk through the garden at rhododendron time.

Venue information

Ushaw College

Durham, DH7 9RH

Entry details

35, to include refreshments, light lunch, lecture and guided tour. Apply to Elizabeth Conran, 01833 631055 10am

"Art Fund" is the operating name of the National Art Collections Fund, a charity registered in England and Wales (209174) and Scotland (SC038331)