Visit: Minster and Mansion House, Doncaster
| Minster Church of St George
Civic buildings in the South Yorkshire area are often unknown, even to local residents. This is the first in a series of visits exploring the richness of heritage in the region.
Meeting at the Minster Church of St George on Church Street, visitors will be taken on a guided tour of both the exterior and interior of the church. Designed by George Gilbert Scott, the church was built in 1854-1858 after the mediaeval church was destroyed by fire in 1853.
With 1 1/2 hours free time in the afternoon, there is the opportunity to enjoy excellent afternoon tea at Wood's Tea Rooms, or visit the museum with its fine collection of Rockingham pottery, many pieces bought with the assistance of The Art Fund.
Vistors will reconvene at the Mansion House, High Street for a guided tour of this 18th-century building designed by James Paine with alterations by the three Williams: Lindley, Hurst and Butterfield.