Visit to Cadhay- Near Ottery St Mary
| Cadhay House
Cadhay was built by John Hayden in 1550 on the site of an earlier house. His nephew Robert built a long gallery closing the side of the house to form a courtyard. The four statues of Henry Vlll, Edward V1, Mary and ELizabeth which stand over the doors in the courtyard were carved in 1617. It was bought by Dampier Whetham in 1910 who uncovered old Tudor hearths and put the house into sound structural condition. He later sold the house to the William-Powletts who bought the property in 1935, and have occupied it since. The house has recently been inherited by a furniture maker nephew, Rupert Thistlethwayte. He has restored it to its previous splendour whilst introducing modern comforts such as heating and additional bathrooms, as well as contemporary furniture of his own to complement the antique furniture. The gardens are particularly fine and this visit sees them in their late summer glory. Sir Simon Jenkins, in his book "Englands Thousand Best Houses" describes it as 'one of the treasures of Devon.'
For tickets please contact Roger Bishop.