Rokeby Park

| Rokeby Park

This is a privately owned house that is associated with the great early 19th century painters Cotman and Turner, who both painted there in the early 1880's. It was of course the home from 1805 to 1905 of the Velasquez 'Rokeby Venus'. Palladian in style, it was built by Sir Thomas RObinson in 1735, who made several alterations and sold it in 1769 to J S Morritt whose family it has remained with ever since. If there is time we have the Bowes Museum to visit in Barnard Castle so remember to bring your Art Fund Cards as the entrance is free there for members. Lunch has been arranged at the Morritt Arms before going to Rokeby for a tour of the house commecing at 2.15pm

Venue information

Rokeby Park

Rokeby Park is located 3 miles south east of Barnard Castle on the north side of A66 between Al(M) and Bowes in Teesdale, County Durham. See Map. OS ref. NZ 080 142.

Entry details

32.50 pp tp include coach, tour of the house and buffet lunch at the Morritt Arms ( excluding drinks)

Tickets: Tim O'Connor-Fenton, The Old Rectory, South Kilvington, Thirsk, North Yorkshire, Y07 2NL Tel. 01845 526153

9.30am- Depart Sherwood Library, Mansfield Road, Nottingham

10.00am- Pick up Southwell Minster Car Park

10.30am Pick up Clumber Park Hotel

12.30 pm Arrive Morritt Arms

2.15pm Tour of the house

"Art Fund" is the operating name of the National Art Collections Fund, a charity registered in England and Wales (209174) and Scotland (SC038331)