West Berkshire Museum

Berkshire, RG14 5AS

This community museum explores West Berkshire's past, present and future.

West Berkshire Museum

Established in 1904, is housed in two of Newbury's most historic buildings, the 17th-century Cloth Hall and the Corn Stores (or Granary). The Cloth Hall was built in 1626-1627 by Richard Emmes, a master carpenter of Speenhamland for The Newbury Corporation as a textile factory. It was subsequently used as a workhouse, hospital and school before being used for storing corn from 1829 until its conversion to a museum.

The museum is community led, with groups and societies making their own exhibitions for display.

Venue information

Opening times

Wed – Sun and Bank Holidays, 10am – 4pm
Closed Mon and Tues

"Art Fund" is the operating name of the National Art Collections Fund, a charity registered in England and Wales (209174) and Scotland (SC038331)