Tyne and Wear, NE1 7RU
Free to all
Part of the Great North Museum, Newcastle University's Hatton Gallery was founded in 1925 in honour of Durham Professor Richard George Hatton.
Between the 1940s and 60s, under the guidance of a distinguished series of professors and art historians, the Fine Art Department of Newcastle University acquired the paintings which form the core of the collection today.
From the 1950s to 80s, a large body of British work was donated by the Contemporary Art Society, and in addition, several important bequests were made, including the Bosanquet Collection of European Textiles and the Hall bequest of Baxter and Victorian Prints. In 1965, perhaps the most important donation to the Gallery was the Elterwater Merzbarn by Kurt Schwitters.
A generous personal gift from the late Dame Catherine Cookson helped the gallery further expand its collection in the 1990s.
The Hatton stages a programme of historical, modern and contemporary art exhibitions.
The Hatton's permanent collection comprises over 3,500 works, ranging from the Renaissance to the 20th century. Artists represented include Francis Bacon, Walter Sickert, Patrick Heron, Richard Hamilton and John Graham Lough.