12 Oct 2013 – 23 Apr 2014
Rarely seen paintings, reliefs and sculptures by one one of Britain’s most important Constructivist artists.
In 1919 the artist changed her name from Marjorie Jewel Moss to Marlow Moss and adopted a masculine appearance.
With her cropped hair, cravat and jodhpurs she was a virtual recluse, distanced from neighbouring artists such as Ben Nicholson, Barbara Hepworth and Alfred Wallis.
Her early work in paint generally consisted of highly stylised and simplified grid forms reminiscent of Piet Mondrian, with whom she is often associated and who she was close to for much of her life.
Later in the 1930s she became concerned with the creation of all-white reliefs of wood, rope and string. Following the outbreak of WWII, Moss settled in Lamorna and although she continued to work in a structure style, she began experimenting with a larger range of colours.
The exhibition, organised by and previously on display at Tate St Ives, will be shown at Leeds City Art Gallery and Tate Britain next year.