- Wentworth House |
- Tour |
- 6 September 2013, 17 October 2013 - 10:30
Wentworth Woodhouse was built by the 1st Marquess of Rockingham. The Baroque west front was constructed in 1725-35 and the Palladian east front, the longest of any English house, was designed by Ralph Tunnicliffe and Henry Flitcroft (assistant to Lord Burlington). The 2nd Marquess began the stables with lodgings for up to 100 horses, designed by John Carr. In 1790 Humphry Repton was employed to remodel the park. The house was originally set in magnificent ornamental gardens, and once housed a priceless art collection including works by Titian, Van Dyck and Raphael.
With 1000 windows, 365 rooms, the 63 inside servants had five miles of underground passageways to negotiate. In its heyday, guests were presented with a silver casket containing different coloured confetti: sprinkling this along the hallways was the only way they could find their way back to their rooms!
There will be no need for that today on a tour that includes a selection of architecturally magnificent rooms in the throes of restoration.
You will have time to see the gardens.
A light lunch will be taken at the Rockingham Arms. This will be followed by a visit to Holy Trinity Church. There is the optional opportunity to visit the Wentworth Woodhouse Garden Centre with its Millennium Maze and laid out gardens and deer park.
Please wear comfortable footwear as there is a considerable distance to walk
This event has been organised by a local supporter group to help raise money for the Art Fund