Scarborough: St. Martin-on-the-Hill and Scarborough Art Gallery
- St Martin on the Hill |
- Visit |
- Saturday, 18 June 2011
There will be a visit to the Church of St-Martin-on-the-Hill, a Gothic Revival style church designed by the English architect George Frederick Bodley between 1862-3. Bodley was connected to the Pre-Raphelite Brethren through his affiliation with the Hogarth Club. Because of this, Bodley was able to engage the services of William Morris & Co. for many elements of the interior of St Martin-on-the-Hill. The church features windows by Ford Maddox Brown and Burne-Jones, pulpit panels by Rossetti and an altar frontal by Jane Morris. A guided tour of the church will be followed by lunch and a visit to Scarborough Art Gallery which features a fine collection of chalk drawings by Sir Frank Brangwyn, Filey pottery and paintings by Atkinson Grimshaw. Afternoon tea will be served at Deer Park House, Scampston.
Albion Road Scarborough South Yorkshire