Fordyce Castle and Castle of Park - Portsoy
- Visit |
- Monday 16 May 2011 - 12:00 until 12:00
A visit to two houses which are not normally open to the public.
Fordyce Castle was built in 1592 by Thomas Menzies, Laird of Durn and one-time Provost of Aberdeen. At its core is a typical 16th-century L-plan tower house, three storeys high and amply provided with gun loops and shot holes. The west wing was added some time around 1700. The origins of the village of Fordyce go back to 1400 and the fountains of the old church built by the Pictish Saint, St Tarkarucan (St Tarquin). The church was abandoned in 1804, but what remains is one of the most interesting old churchyards in North East Scotland.
Castle of Park originated in 1292, was rebuilt as a Z-plan tower house in 1563, and was extended in 1723, and finally in the 19th century. Today it is home of Art Dealer Neil Wilson and his family, who will show us around their home.
We will visit Fordyce Castle in the morning, then have a short drive to Portsoy to have lunch at the Shore Inn, and then on to Castle Park in the afternoon, where we will also be offered a cup of tea!
Unfortunately numbers are limited to 20 due to the size of both of the castles. In the morning, we would have a group of 10 looking at around Fordyce Castle while the second group would have a chance to look around the old churchyard.
Parking is also limited, so car sharing would definitely be encouraged, and we will send out detailed instructions and directions with tickets. Lunch will be included in the price of £25.