Visit: Treasures of Rotherham
- Rotherham |
This visit looks at Bridge Chapel, the Minster and the history of Rockingham Pottery. Bridge Chapel dates from the 15th century and is one of only three remaining medieval bridge chapels which are complete. It was once used as the town gaol. Rotherham Minster was described by Pevsner as "the best perpendicular church in the country". Most of the present building dates from the 15th century, although parts of Saxon and Norman structures remain and a church has stood on the same site since the 900s. Lunch at Clifton House, designed by John Carr and now the Clifton Museum. A tour and lecture on Rockingham Pottery will be led by local expert Leo Leader. Rockingham Pottery was named after the Marquis of Rockingham and traded between 1745 and 1842.