Visit: Pudding Norton Hall and Stiffkey Old Hall
The 19th century stucco front and sash windows of Pudding Norton Hall disguise the core of the E-shaped house built in the 1570s by Ferdinando Paris. In 1578 during Queen Elizabeth's visit to Norwich, Ferdinando Paris was one of a dozen or so Catholics summoned to the city to recant their faith. They all refused and were placed under house arrest.
Stiffkey Old Hall was built by Sir Nicholas Bacon, Keeper of the Great Seal, for his son Nathaniel, from 1576 onwards. It was in the form of an open square with towers at each of the four corners. Unfortunately less than half now survives. It is built in flint with red-brick dressings and some mullion and transom windows are still in place. The visit will benefit from the expertise of Adrian and Ann Bell as their restoration of the ceilings and paintings is of high quality and archaeologically precise.