The Reform Club and the Conservation Studios at the British Library
- The Reform Club |
The Reform Club was the starting point for Phileas Fogg’s journey around the world in eighty days. The club was founded in 1836 to be a centre for the radical ideas reflected in the Reform Bill of 1832. The club was designed by Sir Charles Barry, based on the Farnese Palace in Rome. The saloon and the library are richly decorated. The Morning Room has a half size copy of the Parthenon Frieze and both the Morning Room and the Smoking Room have splendid ceilings and are lined with bookcases. The Strangers Room and the Card Room are equipped with bookcases designed by Purcell Miller Tritton of Norwich. A small steam engine pumped and heated the water supply and drove a fan ventilator.
Move to the British Library in the afternoon for a visit to the Conservation Studios. The event will give an insight to the techniques used to care for their collection and time will be spent with one of the conservation teams. Coats and bags, including handbags, cannot be taken into the conservation rooms and need to be left in a locker on the lower ground floor of the library.
There is a dress code for the Reform Club which is obligatory. Gentlemen are required to wear closed collar, jacket and tie and ladies are required to dress with similar formality.
The Reform Club is to be found at 104 Pall Mall. The most pleasant route from Liverpool Street is eastwards on the Circle line to St James Park Station and walk north through the park over the Serpentine Bridge, cross into Marlborough Road and turn right into Pall Mall. 104 is close to the turning to Carlton Gardens. For the British Library take the Victoria Line from Green Park to St Pancras, which is next door. No convenient bus service. Meet at the British Library at the reception desk in the main concourse at 2pm or 3pm.
Tea and biscuits will be served at the Reform Club. Please find your
104 Pall Mall London Norfolk SW1Y 5EW