Visit to Lauriston Castle and Dalmeny House
- Lauriston Castle |
Lauriston Castle was left to the nation by its last private owners, Mr & Mrs William Robert Reid, who lived there until 1926. Mr Reid was the proprietor of the cabinet makers Morison & Co. And was particularly interested in collecting objects that showed the craftsman’s skills, including one of the largest collections of Blue John in Britain. Originally a 1590’s tower house, it was modernised by the Reids (even central heating in the maids rooms!) and has well preserved Edwardian interiors.
After lunch visit Dalmeny House, the home of the Rosebery family. The house has some of the finest French furniture in Britain; the Napoleon room shows the 5th Earl’s collection of Napoleonic art and objects – the most important collection outside France.
2a Cramond Road South Davidson's Mains Angus EH4 5GD