Two houses in the Waveney Valley, Middleton Hall and South Elmham Hall
- Various |
Middleton Hall is a grade II* property with a history going back to the early fourteenth century. The present south range is Tudor and was built in 1544 by Elizabeth Holland, mistress of the infamous 3rd Duke of Norfolk. It was extended before 1595 by Sir Henry Woodhouse on his marriage to Cecily Gresham. The north range, which backs on to the south range, is early eighteenth century. Inside there is an early Jacobean plaster ceiling, two oblong panels of Roman emperors in profile and other interesting artefacts. The house is set in some fine gardens. The house and garden were restored in 1991.
South Elmham Hall is mainly a sixteenth century building which was once a summer palace for the Bishops of Norwich. Grade 1 listed, it dates from before 1275 and contains some of the oldest wall paintings in Suffolk. There will be an opportunity to walk to the eleventh century Minster, described as one of the most enigmatic and romantic ruins in England.
Morning coffee or tea and biscuits will be provided at Middleton Hall on arrival.
Members only. Directions: From Harleston take the B1123 to Withersdale Street. Turn left for Mendham. Go Straight through the village and after 1½ miles turn right to Middleton Hall. Postcode IP20 0NR To reach South Elmham Hall turn right on leaving, right again to South Elmham St Cross and follow the signs to South Elmham Hall. Postcode IP20 0PZ
Start at South Elmham at 2pm sharp. There will be a few members of the
public on the tour. Numbers limited to 24. There is a restaurant at
South Elmham Hall.
Norfolk IP20 0NR