Visit to Llanarmon-yn-Ial and Plas Newydd, Llangollen
- Church of St Garmon |
Church of St Garmon, Llanarmon-yn-Ial
A church has been built on this site by the river Alun since the 5th century but the building was mainly built in the early medieval period, with a second nave added in the 15th century. In the 1730s it was partially rebuilt with magnificent oak pillars dividing the two naves. Interesting contents include a pre-reformation candelabra and stone effigies. There will be a guided tour of the church and Professor Eric Sunderland will give a brief talk about the link between Llanarmon-yn-Ial, the family of Elihu Yale and Yale University.
Plas Newdd, Llangollen
Lady Eleanor Butler and The Hon. Sarah Ponsonby left Ireland in 1778 and set up home together at Plas Newydd. Although their parents objected to the liaison, they created a home for themselves where they lived for over 50 years. During this time they were visited by many famous people including Wordsworth, Shelley and The Duke of Wellington. The Black and White house they developed had Gothic features with carved oak panels, stained glass windows and a lovely garden. There will be an introductory talk and audio headsets will be available.