Stained Glass in King's College Chapel and Corpus Christi College, Cambridge
Carola Hicks has written a much acclaimed book on the stained glass in King’s College chapel and is well known for leading a lovely tour of William Morris’s work in Cambridge. She says that St George does not appear in the glass, but Henry V11’s coming to Cambridge in 1506 to celebrate St George’s Day inspired the king to pay for the completion of the chapel and the installation of the windows. Two tours, 11am and 12 noon.
The highlight of the visit to Corpus is the Parker Library, named after Norfolk-born Matthew Parker who donated the library to the college and also served as its Master. Here are to be found the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, the best manuscript of Chaucer’s Troilus, the oldest illustrated latin gospel book that is used for the enthronement of each new Archbishop of Canterbury, a letter from Anne Boleyn to her father and a giant Romanesque Bible from the Abbey of Bury St Edmunds. While one group is in the library the other will be taken on a tour of the college, which has the oldest court in Cambridge dating from 1377, The Old Hall and The New Court by William Wilkins will also be seen. The college is renowned for its wine cellars and the port therein and the finest collection of silver plate in Cambridge.
Park and Ride or the train is recommended. The Park and Ride buses stop in Emmanuel Street. Turn right at the end. Opposite the front of Christ’s College [heraldic gateway] turn left along Sidney Street, and left again into Market Street, [beside Monsoon] which leads into St Mary Street. At the end of this street, go straight ahead into Senate House Passage and follow sign to King’s College Chapel. For Corpus turn right across the front of King’s and the main gate of Corpus is by a red pillar box. If you go by train, buses No I, 3 and 7 from the station will take you as far as Emmanuel Street. Make sure the bus is going to the centre as all routes also serve the outskirts of Cambridge.
NB Close to Corpus are The Eagle [where Watson and Crick had their
discussions that led to the discovery of the structure of DNA] and St Bene’t’s
partly Saxon church.
Not Applicable when venue selected from drop-down box Norfolk