Brooks CLub, 'Breugel to Rubens' at The Queens Gallery and Apsley House

  • Brooks's Club, The Queens Gallery and Apsley House |
  •  |
Brooks's was founded in 1764 and in 1774 its members commissioned Henry Holland to build the present club house, which was completed by 1776. The club has been described as a small country house,with fine interioirs and a superb collection of portraits of the Society of Dilettanti, founded in 1732. WE next visit the Queen's gallery, and on view will be an exhibition of Bruegel to Rubens,as wel as some of the Old Masters.Apsley house, originally a modest Robert Adam house, was transformed into a Palladian mansion fit to be the town house of a victorious general and a national hero, the Duke of Wellington. There is a magnificent collection of paintings, Goya and Rubens among others, together with collections of silver, furniture and sculpture.

Venue details

Brooks's Club, The Queens Gallery and Apsley House
Brooks's Club is at 60 St James Street, off Piccadily. It is on the right before you descend the hill on the corner just before Justerini and Brooks. The Queen's Gallery ( noon) is in Buckingham gate. Apsley House ( 3.15pm) faces Hyde Park Corner. Norfolk