Venice Study Day
- Oddfellows Hall |
Venice is a city which never fails to enchant the visitor and its beautiful buildings are full of magnificent works of art. This study day will provide an inspiring introduction for those who have not yet experienced its attraction and add a greater depth of knowledge to those already under the spell of La Serenissima.
The illustrated presentation will cover:
- A brief look at the history
- St Mark's Square and the Basillica of San Marco and the Doge's Palace
- Some of its great churches including the Frari and SS Giovanni e Paolo (San Zanipolo)
- The Scuole, the influential brotherhoods who commissioned such splendid works of art
- The island of Torcello and Santa Maria dell'Assunta with its wonderful mosaics
During his years as a teacher of Modern languages, Graham White has travelled widely throughout France, Italy, Belgium and Holland. After retirement he taught in the Open Studies Department of Warwick University, specialising in the art and architecture of the great cities and regions of Europe.
Refreshments included. Optional sandwich lunch available.
6 Clarence Terrace Warwick Street Leamington Spa Warwickshire CV32 5LD