The Red House, The Britten-Pears Library and Snape Maltings

  • The Red House and Snape Maltings |
  •  |
The Red House at Aldeburgh dates from the 16th century, and the library was added in the 1960's. Home of Benjamin Britten and Peter Pears from 1957 onwards,original furniture and books remain in the house and after Britten's death the library buildings were extended to create an exhibtion area, an archive store and a reading room. Pears' art collection numbers at about 2000 items. After lunch, a visit to Snape Maltings has been arranged, a building that for many years was the largest maltings in East Anglia and after it closed in the 1960's Britten converted it into one of the world's leading concert halls.

Venue details

The Red House and Snape Maltings
From the A12 near Saxmundham take the A1094 to Aldeburgh.Immediately after a golf club take the next left ( Golf Lane),the Red House is on the bend. Grid Ref 454579 PC IP15 1PZ. Back along the A1094 and use the B1069 to go to Snape. Norfolk