Rokeby Park

  • Rokeby Park |
  •  |
This is a privately owned house that is associated with the great early 19th century painters Cotman and Turner, who both painted there in the early 1880's. It was of course the home from 1805 to 1905 of the Velasquez 'Rokeby Venus'. Palladian in style, it was built by Sir Thomas RObinson in 1735, who made several alterations and sold it in 1769 to J S  Morritt whose family it has remained with ever since. If there is time we have the Bowes Museum to visit in Barnard Castle so remember to bring your Art Fund Cards as the entrance is free there for members. Lunch has been arranged at the Morritt Arms before going to Rokeby for  a tour of the house commecing at 2.15pm

Venue details

Rokeby Park
Rokeby Park is located 3 miles south east of Barnard Castle on the north side of A66 between Al(M) and Bowes in Teesdale, County Durham. See Map. OS ref. NZ 080 142. Nottinghamshire