Visit to Cortachy Castle and Gardens

  • Cortachy Castle |
  •  |
Come an enjoy an enjoy an exclusive visit to Cortachy Castle in Angus.  Cortachy has been the home of the Ogilvy family since they moved there in 1639 following the burning of Airlie Castle, and is an imposing whitewashed baronial castle on the banks of the river South Esk, guarding the gateway to the Glens.  It was to Cortachy that a defeated King Charles II fled in the hope of mustering support; he found the castle deserted but stayed overnight in what is still known today as “The King’s Room”.  The castle and its estates were forfeited to the Crown following the Earl of Airlie’s support for the 1745 rising, but were later restored to the family.  In 1871 the castle was “baronialised” by the architect David Bryce.

The gardens have been developed by successive generations of the family, and the present Earl and Countess have added several features including a pagoda and a sundial to mark their golden wedding anniversary.  There is a varied walled garden and an American garden with specimen trees.  We shall be able to picnic in the garden (or in the ballroom if wet).  The party will divide into two groups to visit both the house and gardens before and after lunch.  Tea will be served before departure, and is included in the ticket price.

For tickets and for further information, please contact:

Sir Kenneth Scott
Tel: 0131 447 5191

 

Venue details

Cortachy Castle
Angus Edinburgh