A programme designed to provide regional museums and museum visitors with increased access to national museum and gallery collections, made possible with the support of the Garfield Weston Foundation.
The Weston Loan Programme provides funding for regional museums to secure important strategic loans from national collections, maximise loan opportunities in the context of their own collections and communities, and offers opportunities to strengthen the skills of museum professionals working in this area.
We recognise the great value of our national collections being shared more widely across the UK, and hope that museum staff, collections and audiences nationwide will benefit now and in the future.
The second round of applications is now closed, but for more information about the programme and to discuss a potential future application please contact Penny Bull, firstname.lastname@example.org, 020 7225 4840.
- To support the costs of new loans of works of art and artefacts to regional museums from the national collections.
- To encourage new and stronger relationships between regional and national museums and galleries.
- To help regional museums make the most of the opportunities associated with the loan and raise the profile of their own collections.
What are we looking for?
We’ll consider applications that:
- Enhance or maximise the possibilities of already planned loans/exhibitions/programming;
- Enable ‘quick fire’ and ‘quick win’ loan requests
- Support long-term relationship and display development
We’ll support regional museums and galleries with grants of up to 100% of the funding required to cover the costs associated with securing and displaying the loan, for example security reviews, insurance, transportation, conservation, installation and invigilation. We’ll also support you with funds for maximising the impact of the loan, such as production of marketing materials, on-site interpretation and/or audience engagement activity.
Who can apply?
- UK museums/galleries with permanent collections which are provisionally or fully accredited, and which are open for at least six months of the year
- UK museums/galleries which are regional and/or run by local authorities, universities, or have independent Trust status
If your museum is not provisionally or fully accredited you'll be asked explain why, and to demonstrate a longstanding commitment to care for the collections to the same nationally recognised standard.
Your museum should also be open for at least half the week for at least six months of the year, but we’d be happy to discuss this further.
How much can you apply for?
We expect the majority of grants to be for between £5,000 and £25,000. We'd be happy to accept applications for 100% funding, though applicants can apply to this programme as part of a larger funding package of support from a variety of sources.
Programme guidance and support for developing your project and partnership
For full details of the programme, including the terms and conditions, please see our Guidance for Applicants.
Please also see the Developing your project and partnership guidelines for advice on finding partners, sourcing funding and other support, and opening up your museum to new audiences.
How to apply
Please note: the window for applications is currently closed. We will announce the next round soon.
Projects supported in the first round
If you want to get a sense of the kind of projects the programme supports, take a look at the 13 loans we supported in the first round.