Awardees will be selected via a two-stage process.
Stage one: expression of interest
Details on submitting your expression of interest can be found below.
Your submission should be accompanied by: a letter of support from your line manager; a one-page CV; and a selection of 8-10 images that illustrate the proposed collecting strategy.
In your expression of interest you should seek to address the aims of the New Collecting Awards as follows:
- Describe how participating in this scheme will develop your professional skills and ambitions, in the short and long term, and why receiving a New Collecting Award would make a unique contribution to this process. You may wish to consider:
- What you can bring to the project from current or previous roles
- What this opportunity will provide that would otherwise not be possible
- What type of research and training will be necessary
- How you would work with a mentor and what could they contribute to the project. Do you have any ideas as to who you would like to approach as a mentor, and why?
- Outline your curatorial vision for the museum; describe what you wish to collect and how this will transform your museum’s current collections. What do you think will be the legacy for your museum and its visitors? Why are you interested in this collecting area?
- Set out in brief a potential strategy for the formation of the collection, including the approximate number of works you may collect, the budget required and the research potential of this collecting activity, before and after acquisitions are made.
Describe how receiving a New Collecting Award might benefit other areas of museum activity, contribute to future programming and/or promote collaboration both within the museum and with sector colleagues.
The deadline to submit an expression of interest is 13 February 2018.
Stage two: interview (by invitation only)
Applicants who are shortlisted may be required to submit further information in consultation with Art Fund.
Shortlisted applicants will be required to present in person to the New Collecting Awards panel in late April 2018.
How to apply
Please read the aims and eligibility carefully before you apply.
If you are registered as a curator/museum worker on artfund.org, log in to access the application form. Otherwise, register now.
If you have a My Art Fund account but are not registered as a curator, the applications section will not appear when you log in. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org so the team can update your profile.