Madonna of the Candelabra
- Art Funded
- 70 x 48 cm
It is named for the candelabra festooned with garlands behind the figures. The relief was in the collection assembled by the Victorian classical painter Frederic, Lord Leighton, at his Holland Park house and studio, one of the most famous 19th-century interiors in London. Leighton was profoundly influenced by Italian Renaissance art of the 15th and 16th centuries. The relief is the second important example of Renaissance art to be returned to the house, following the dispersal of Leighton's collection after his death.
Collection of Frederic, Lord Leighton at Leighton House, London; posthumous sale of Leighton's collection, Christie's, 1896; purchased at the sale by the art critic Harry Quilter (1851-1907)...Collection of Mr Maricrini; by descent in a private
12 Holland Park Road, London, Greater London, W14 8LZ
020 7602 3316
Please note that Leighton House Museum is currently closed for restoration however a programme of public events for adults and families is still available. Please check their website on www.leightonhouse.co.uk for details and opening times