- Art Funded
- 121 x 65 x 62 cm
- Lyon & Turnbull
The Dukes were among the greatest patrons of the arts in Scotland. The chair was part of a suite of aristocratic parade furniture, described as one of the most extravagant baroque ensembles known in Scotland. It was later displayed in the apartments of Mary Queen of Scots at the Palace of Holyroodhouse, Edinburgh, a key location in the understanding of the 19th century romantic interior.
Commissioned by the 3rd Duke of Hamilton for Holyrood House Palace, Edinburgh; Thence by descent and at Lennoxlove House since 1946.