These are the only chairs discovered so far which bear a label from St.
Pair of chairs by William Old and John Ody, c. 1725
© The Geffrye Museum of the Home
- Each 101.5 x 56 x 58 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £3,600 ( Total: £7,200)
- Acquired in:
Paul's Churchyard workshop. The workshop was a major centre for mainstream London furniture in the early 18th century. They illustrate the combination of chairmaking and cabinetmaking skills with the walnut veneer being typical of cabinet pieces of the time. The back of the chairs is clearly adapted from the Chinese form and are the only documented chairs of this particular type.
Entry details50% off with National Art Pass
The museum is closed to the public for a major, transformational development project. It will reopen in winter 2019.
During closure, the restored almshouse will remain open for tours and a full programme of events will be run in the front gardens.