The Bridge and Chapel at Hartwell & The Bridge at Hartwell by Cornelius Varley

Varley presumably visited Hartwell House near Aylesbury at the invitation of its owner John Lee.


Details

Medium:
Pencil on paper
Dimensions:
Each 26 x 42 cm
Art Fund grant:
£975 ( Total: £3,900)
Acquired in:
2005
Vendor:
Lowell Libson

Both Lee and Varley shared scientific and religious interests. Sketching played an important role in Varley's work and the central focus on one object, in this case the bridge, is also typical of the artist's style. The bridge depicted was made of brick and not particularly strong. It was replaced in 1901 with part of the old Kew Bridge.

Provenance

By descent in artist's family until circa 1992; private collection; Lowell Libson, 1997.

Venue details

Buckinghamshire County Museum 9 Church Street, AYLESBURY Buckinghamshire HP20 2QP 01296 331441 www.buckscountymuseum.org

Entry details

Free to all

Please see website for opening times

Share this article