This work formed part of MacNair's first and only solo exhibition held in London in 1898.

The Glasgow Herald commented on the drawings, 'They are the work of a dreamer in love with the land of faery, who has the truly northern delight in symbolism.' MacNair was particularly preoccupied with imaginative and symbolist themes and was inspired by the mysticism and femininity of Frances and Margaret Macdonald's art. He married Frances and Charles Rennie Mackintosh married Margaret, together forming the 'Glasgow Four'.

Provenance

The artist; by descent in the family to Alan Dunderdale; Fine Art Society; Gordon House, 1990; Gordon House estate, 2004.


Hunterian Art Gallery

University of Glasgow, 82 Hillhead Street, Glasgow, Strathclyde, G12 8QQ
0141 330 4221
Website

Opening times

Hunterian Art Gallery Tue–Sat 10am–​5pm, Sun 11am–​4pm. Mackintosh House Guided tours Tue - Fri, 10am - 12.30pm. Self guided from 1pm and at weekends. Last entry 4.15pm (3.15pm Sun).

Back to top