James Fraser (1645-1731) attended King's College in Aberdeen from 1660 to 1664.

He became the first Secretary and Registrar of the Chelsea Hospital and provided funds to rebuild parts of the university including a new library to which he also contributed some important books. The cup bears hallmarks for 1660, the year Fraser entered King's and was inscribed on the occasion of his honorary degree received in 1725.


Early history unknown, surfaced in 1949; sold by D Lavender, 1972; private dealer; JH Bourdon-Smith, 1985.

Back to top