James Fraser (1645-1731) attended King's College in Aberdeen from 1660 to 1664.

He became the first Secretary and Registrar of the Chelsea Hospital and provided funds to rebuild parts of the university including a new library to which he also contributed some important books. The cup bears hallmarks for 1660, the year Fraser entered King's and was inscribed on the occasion of his honorary degree received in 1725.

Provenance

Early history unknown, surfaced in 1949; sold by D Lavender, 1972; private dealer; JH Bourdon-Smith, 1985.


King's Museum

Old Aberdeen Town House, High Street, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, AB24 3EN
01224 274330
Website

Opening times

Tue – Sat, 10.30am – 4.30pm

Back to top