The cup was won at Goodwood in 1835 by John Theobald's horse and came to Brodsworth Hall through the marriage of Theobald's granddaughter Georgiana to Charles Sabine Thellusson.
The Goodwood Cup by Paul Storr, 1835
© Brodsworth Hall and Gardens
- 71 x 51 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £15,000 ( Total: £70,000)
- Acquired in:
- Trustees of R S Williams Estate
The cup is very sculptural with a flat circular lid on which recline the large cast figures of an Arab with a long pipe leaning against a horse.
John Theobald, 1835; by descent to William Theobald; by descent to Georgiana Sabine Thellusson at Brodsworth Hall, circa 1863; R S Williams estate.
Free with National Art Pass (standard entry £9.60)
1 Apr – 31 Oct
House and Gardens
Daily, 11am – 6pm; tours from 11am, free-flow from 1pm
Servants' Wing, Cafe and Gardens open at selected times during winter
Please visit Brodsworth Hall website for full seasonal opening times