An Exhibition at the Old Town Hall, Oxford by George Pyne

This work is the only record of an exhibition in the old Oxford Town Hall in 1854.


Watercolour on paper
22 x 35 cm
Art Fund grant:
£3,000 ( Total: £9,000)
Acquired in:
Andrew Clayton-Payne Ltd

Many of the exhibits can be identified including Millais's 'Return of the Dove to the Ark' and Collins's 'Convent Thoughts' which are now in the Ashmolean Museum's collection and Millais's 'James Wyatt and his Granddaughter' and Holman Hunt's 'New College Cloisters'. No catalogue survives of the exhibition and the Georgian Town Hall was demolished in the early 1890s, so this work provides a rare pictorial record.



Venue details

Ashmolean Museum Beaumont Street, OXFORD Oxfordshire OX1 2PH 01865 278000

Entry details

Permanent collections are free to all
50% off exhibitions with National Art Pass

Tue – Sun, Bank Holiday Mon, 10am – 5pm

Closed 24 – 26 Dec

Share this article