Hull's Mill, Sible Hedingham
- Art Funded
- 45 x 55 cm
- G E Sworder & Sons
Mechanically it was driven by a water wheel, then after the First World War it was converted to be powered by a turbine and a gas engine and the water mill removed. Ravilious moved to Hedingham in 1935 and painted this in the months after his arrival in the village. We can see no traces of the former water wheel in the watercolour, but the exhaust stack to the left gives a clue to the turbine and gas apparatus in use, and the bags of flour in the open doorway of the shed indicate that the mill was still in use.
19a Castle Street, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB10 1BD
01799 513 779
First Sun in April to last Sun in October Tues, Thurs, Fri 2pm – 5pm Saturday, 11am – 5pm Sunday & Bank Holidays, 2.15pm – 5pm Group visits outside opening hours are welcome by arrangement