The trowel is decorated with scrollwork and intertwined initials on one side and an inscription dated 1906 on the other.

It was made by Cooper Brothers & Sons, a Sheffield firm, and commemorates the 1895 founding of new premises for the Jewish Soup Kitchen, one of the major Jewish communal institutions in Manchester that supported recent immigrants. It offered free soup to Jewish workers in the factories in the Cheetham area, and still exhists today in its modern incaranation as 'Meals on Wheels'.


Swiss private collection; auction Zurich; Antiquitäten.

Manchester Jewish Museum

190 Cheetham Hill Road, Manchester, Greater Manchester, M8 8LW
0161 834 9879

Opening times

Sun – Thu,10am – 4pm
Fri, 10am – 1pm

Back to top