These candlesticks are one of two pairs commissioned by George William, 6th Earl of Coventry (1722-1809) an outstanding patron of architecture and the decorative arts and an early enthusiast for the neo-classical taste.

The form of the candlesticks is based on a design by the architect William Kent (1685-1748) which was adapted to incorporate neo-classical ornament (such as the band of Vitruvian scrollwork beneath the nozzle and the festoons on the octagonal base).

Provenance

George William, 6th Earl of Coventry; by descent; Christies 1985; Al-Tajir Collection; Christies New York 2003.




Exhibitions at V&A (Victoria and Albert Museum)

Back to top