View of the wrought iron suspension bridge erected over the River Tweed near Berwick, built by Captain Samuel Brown, who also commissioned this painting.

Salmon fishermen and boats are depicted on the river in the foreground. The bridge was opened in 1820 and was the first suspension bridge to carry vehicular traffic.

Provenance

Captain Samuel Brown; Royal Society of Arts.


Paxton House

Paxton, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Borders, TD15 1SZ
01289 386291
Website

Opening times

17 Mar – 4 Nov
Mon – Sun, 10am – 5pm (last tour 3.30pm)

Back to top