The particular shape of these vases was named after King Louis-Philippe's sister, Madame Adélaïde, who presented the first example of the vases to her brother.

This pair was commissioned from the Sèvres factory by Samuel Scott. The pair are in the older 18th century rococo style, with flowers set against a blue ground with much gilding.

Provenance

Samuel Scott; sold by his descendants in 1925; René Subes; John Whitehead.


The Bowes Museum

Newgate, Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12 8NP
01833 690606
Website

Opening times

Mon – Sun, 10am – 5pm

Closed 25, 26 Dec and 1 Jan

Back to top