Simon Beale was a Royal Trumpeter and mentioned in Pepys diaries.

At the time of purchase, it is the second oldest known trumpet and probably used during the Civil War. Recorded as being at Woodsome Hall from 1882. In an account of that time the trumpet is mentioned as speaking 'of war no more' and instead used to summon the butler.

Provenance

commissioned in 1667; possibly in the ownership of Admiral Legge; then by descent in Legge family of Woodsome Hall until Puttick and Simpson sale, 1922; Percival Griffiths; Christie's, 1937; Christie's, 1967; Charles Dalglish's father; then


Bate Collection of Musical Instruments

Faculty of Music, St Aldate's, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1 1DB
01865 276139
Website

Opening times

Mon – Fri, 2pm – 5pm
Sat mornings during Oxford University term time, 10am – 12noon

Closed 17 Apr – 21 Apr and 24 Dec – 2 Jan

Back to top