Imaginary landscape depicting an arch with a large broken tree trunk and mountains in the background.

This work originally hung in the small dining room (now known as the Breakfast Room) at Penrhyn Castle. It is evidence of the 1st Lord Penrhyn's fondness for Dutch landscape paintings. Joint acquisition for Penrhyn Castle and the National Museum Wales.

Provenance

Benjamin West; Private collection in Bolton, 1820; M. Six van Hillegom, Amsterdam 1835; Hendrik Six, Amsterdam,1861; Col. Edward Douglas-Pennant, Lord Penrhyn, Penrhyn Castle, 1865; then by descent.




Exhibitions at National Museum Cardiff

Back to top