One tile from a panel of tiles depicting the Tempation of Christ.

Part of a collection of 135 panels of c. 2000 tiles illustrating the history of enamelled earthenware tiles in Holland from their origin to their decline ((late 16th to late 18th century). This work is part of a long series of works of art from the collection of the late Henry Van den Bergh which have found their way to museums through the Art Fund at different periods since 1909, either being presented by himself, or, following his death in 1937, by his heirs. The Van den Bergh collection not surprisingly, was strong in the work of Dutch artists, particularly of the 19th century.

Provenance

Collection of Mr E Vis.


V&A (Victoria and Albert Museum)

Cromwell Road, London, Greater London, SW7 2RL
020 7942 2000
Website

Opening times

Daily, 10am – 5.45pm (Fri until 10pm)



Exhibitions at V&A (Victoria and Albert Museum)

Back to top